Happy New Year, everyone!
How has the beginning of 2018 been treating you?
With a new year full of possibility and excitement, many of your goals may focus on healthy eating and exercise. This is great! Why not start the month off with a fresh salad with grapefruit, avocado, and toasted walnuts?! It’s light,refreshing, and the added crunch of the walnuts is a perfect addition.
This recipe has few ingredients and is quick and simple to make. To get the salad started, toast a ½ cup of walnuts in a 350-degree oven for 5-10 minutes, until they smell fragrant and nutty.
While the walnuts are toasting in the oven, this is a great time to get the grapefruit prepared. For the salad you’ll be segmenting the grapefruit to get as much of the meat as you can. Once you’ve finished, the remaining membrane can be squeezed and the juice can be used for the vinaigrette.
The dressing is a fresh combination of grapefruit juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, shallot, salt and ground pepper, to taste.
Assemble the salad in a large serving bowl with arugula, grapefruit, sliced avocado and walnuts. When you’re ready to serve, start with half the dressing on the salad, toss and give it a try. Add more to desired taste. If there’s leftover dressing, it’s great to have on hand for additional salads. Keep in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 3-4 days.
This is a great salad to have as an appetizer or alongside some fresh wild salmon or other lean protein. If you’d like to doctor the salad up vegetarian style, you can add some garbanzo beans or pan-fried tempeh. This is a great salad to take for lunches or have in the refrigerator for dinner.
If you try the salad, let us know what you think! Go to our Instagram page at @fitnesssf. If you have any questions or want to reach out, email email@example.com or check out my instagram page @leahgolden.rd
Enjoy! ~ Leah
Grapefruit, Avocado and Walnut Salad
This light and refreshing salad is a wonderful combination of sweet and savory. It’s packed full of healthy fats and fiber and is great alone or alongside a healthy protein like wild salmon or grilled tempeh.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: ~5-10 minutes
Total time: 25 mins
Author: Leah Golden, MS, RD
Recipe type: Appetizer, Salad
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian
- ½ cup walnuts (shelled) toasted
- 2 grapefruit, sectioned
- ~ 8 oz fresh arugula, washed and spun dry
- 1 large avocado, sliced
GRAPEFRUIT SHALLOT VINAIGRETTE
- 4 Tbsp grapefruit juice
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ shallot, minced
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes and toss occasionally to evenly toast and prevent burning. Walnuts are done when they have a nutty aroma and have a golden hue.
- To section grapefruit, first cut off the top and bottom of fruit. Next cut away the peel and any pith. To cut segments away, use knife to cut between the membrane. Set aside segments. Squeeze juice from remaining membrane and capture in small bowl. Reserve for vinaigrette.
- Place arugula in large bowl and top with sectioned grapefruit and toasted walnuts.
- To slice the avocado, cut in half lengthwise around the seed, and twist the halves apart. To safely remove the seed, slip a spoon between the fruit and seed and gently remove. Cut the avocado into quarters and remove peels. Place avocado flat side down and thinly slice. Add avocado to salad.
- In medium bowl, whisk grapefruit juice, apple cider vinegar, minced shallot, honey, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When ready to serve gently toss salad with vinaigrette.