By: Leah Golden, MS, RD
When you’re having friends over for a dinner party or to watch basketball, do you have a go-to appetizer that you like to prepare? I know I’m not alone when I say, some type of dip or hummus is in the line up. This sweet potato, turmeric and white bean spread is great. It’s super creamy, flavorful, has a touch of sweetness and is nutritious to boot! It’ll also looks pretty dang good- the turmeric and sweet potato give it a nice pop of color. It’s inviting from the get go- definitely a win in my book.
Turmeric is a hot topic these days and for good reason. It’s been around for centuries and has some potent anti-inflammatory properties! One of the main phytochemicals in turmeric is called curcumin. These anti-inflammatory properties have been of great interest and researched to help with a variety of medical issues. This is great news because it may be beneficial for joint pain, cognitive function, mood, type II diabetes and cancer!
If you’re looking for a hor d’oeuvre that will impress your guests, provide some nutrition and taste delicious, give this a try! You won’t be disappointed!
Enjoy! ~ Leah
Sweet Potato, Turmeric & White Bean Spread
This creamy, hardy and slightly sweet spread will be a tasty way to add some nutrients to your appetizer line up. The nutrients of the sweet potato and turmeric will boost your antioxidant intake and the white beans will bump up your fiber and protein intake. I’d say this creamy spread is a win. It is perfectly paired with some whole grain crackers or sliced up veggies.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total Time: ~45 minutes
Author: Leah Golden, MS, RD
Recipe Type: Appetizer
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- ~ 1 T Avocado oil, enough to coat sweet potato
- 1 can (15 oz) white beans (great northern), rinsed and drained
- Lemon juice, about ½ a medium lemon
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2-3 T full fat Greek yogurt*
- ~2 T olive oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Paprika (optional), for garnish
- Red pepper flakes (optional), for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss sweet potato and avocado oil together in a medium bowl. Spread onto baking sheet and roast for approximately 35-40 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Combine roasted sweet potato, white beans, lemon juice, garlic cloves, Greek yogurt and turmeric in food processor. Blend until spread becomes smooth and creamy. If the mixture is thick and not blending well, add a little bit more oil or lemon juice (1 tsp at a time) until you reach the desired consistency.
- Add some salt and pepper. Blend and give it a taste. Adjust accordingly.
- Transfer spread to nice bowl and garnish with paprika and red pepper flakes. Serve with whole grain crackers and/or sliced cucumbers, bell peppers and carrots!
*Feel free to replace the Greek yogurt for tahini.
Note: Can be kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.