By: Leah Golden, MS, RD
Not a fan of vegan food? Before giving this recipe the cold shoulder, give it a chance. You may be surprised with the final product. When you hear Chocolate Chip Cookies, what do you think of? I think of warm, chewy cookies with crispy edges and melty chocolate chips fresh out of the oven. Well, no need to go any further because these hit the mark!
I love avocados. They’re great in so many dishes; avocado toast, sandwiches, guacamole, in omelets…so why not in baking! Instead of traditional butter, I use avocado and pair it with coconut oil. Avocados are healthy and provide unsaturated fats and fiber. The avocado and coconut oil are a great combo and provide that buttery taste that so many enjoy from a cookie.
I’ve been working on this vegan recipe for some time, so the final product is a really tasty cookie. My co-workers haven’t objected to the numerous taste tests and have enjoyed every version from the very first to final round. It’s taken quite a few batches, lol. For those of you wondering if the avocado taste is noticeable, it’s not (at least not much). I enjoy the avocado taste, but I know some people don’t go crazy for avocado toast like the rest of us! So, you’re in luck, the avocado does a nice job of blending in😊.
Look at the yummy dough, don’t you want a bite! Maybe just a nibble before it goes in the oven😊. Instead of eggs, I used flaxseed meal to make a flax “egg.” It’s basically flaxmeal combined with water. This helps the cookie bind together and not fall apart in the oven. There are many other vegan egg replacements, but I prefer this one. It’s worked well for me in many recipes and also provides some fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. Both are healthy additions to the recipe!
Yum yum! These look great fresh out of the oven. They’re delicious, chewy, and completely hit the sweet spot😉. Enjoy one (or two) with your evening tea or afternoon coffee and know that your sweet treat is also providing a few healthy benefits from the avocado and flaxseed.
Vegan Avocado Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you’re looking for a vegan chocolate chip cookie that satisfies your sweet craving, these will hit the mark. Fresh out of the oven they’re warm, chewy, with crispy edges and melty chocolate chips. Enjoy!
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: ~12-15 minutes
Total time: 28-35 minutes
Author: Leah Golden, MS, RD
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 20-24 cookies
1 Flax “egg”
- 1 T golden flaxmeal
- 3 T water
- ¼ cup mashed avocado
- 2.5 T solidified coconut oil
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup + 1 T granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 flax “egg”
- 2 T unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ~½ cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or use silicon sheet.
- Make flax “egg” by combing flaxmeal and water. Mix until combined and set aside for about 10 minutes or until mixture thickens. Should have the consistency of a raw egg white.
- Combine the sugars, avocado and coconut oil using an electric hand or stand mixer until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and flax “egg” and continue to mix. Next add almond milk.
- Slowly add the the almond flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the batter on low-medium speed until well combined to make a dough.
- Add chocolate chips to dough and stir until incorporated.
- With two small spoons or ice cream scoop, form heaping one tbsp balls about two inches apart on baking sheet. Flatten mounds slightly with fingertips. *Don’t flatten all the way or this will change the texture of the cookie.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on baking sheet for three minutes and then transfer to wire rack and cool completely. They will be crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. You can store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.